2016 Car (REV 2)
2015 Car (REV 1)
I was part of the Formula Student Electric Racing team at the University of Pennsylvania. In 2015 we were building our second car with lofty goals after not qualifying for racing in 2014. We shaved 120 lbs out of the second revision car and re-designed the electronic systems to make them more reliable. At the competition the field was again thin with most teams not passing safety inspection, but we were able to get through with only minor fixes. With our prior testing we were able to take first in 7 of the 8 events .
This year I was in charge of the powertrain design. In moving from two motors to just a single motor with a chain reduction we lost a lot of weight in this design change. The design incorporated a Drexler limited slip differential (LSD) as well as easily swap-able chain sprockets. This allowed for 6 different possible ratios while we were tuning the drive. The parts were water jet and/or machined in-house. As with last year, I help with other manufacturing tasks as well as wiring and final assembly.
2014 Car (REV 0)
In 2014 I spent many long nights during the semester and most of May and June working towards the competition in June 2014. As we were a new/small team (5-10 people) This was our car which we finished only hours before leaving for the race track. Unfortunately without ample testing time we did not actually race, but I learned a great deal from the process.
I designed and machined the pedal assembly for the car. It was designed to specifications set forward by the FSAE competition. I used the simulation and FEA packages in SolidWorks to size and optimize the design. The brake and the accelerator pedal are mounted on an adjustable tray that can slide back and forth to accommodate different drivers sizes. The brake has an adjustable back stop and shut down switch. This represents almost a semester in design with over 10 revisions of the design, and another semester of weekends in the machine shop making ~20 parts that make up this assembly.